Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Story
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:22 pm 
Administrator

As you are aware, enginuity.org has been offline for about two months. I've tried to keep the details under wraps as I felt it was in the best interest of the project to do so, and I think you'll agree as I tell the story. Unfortunately, what was not a good idea was deciding to stick it out instead of just changing the name at the beginning. That wasn't really an option for me at the time, though.

So lets get to it. On November 9 (a Friday night), my wife and I came home late from a bar. I have no idea why, but on this night I decided to check my email before going to bed. I'd received notification from my (now former) web host that due to a trademark dispute sent to them by the lawyers of AutoEnginuity, enginuity.org had been disabled. So here I am, drunk and my website has been taken down because of a questionable-at-best legal request. I spent about an hour trying to draft up something I could send to AutoEnginuity or my web host, but wisely decided it would be best to sleep on it.

After some schedule conflicts, I was finally able to speak with Jay Horak, owner of AutoEnginuity. And, up front, he has been very satisfying to work with. AutoEnginuity sells scan tools. They pay big money to ECU manufacturers for ECU protocol details and produce tools to read them. Then they sell the scan tools to shops that need support. If you're catching on, the problem here is twofold.

First off, you have your customers confusing your website with another, and the other site's visitors making the same mistake, made worse by the fact that both are in the same industry. In a few conversations with Jay, one of the things I learned is that they were aware of the site for some time and never had a problem with it at all. Then they started selling Subaru scan tools and their tech support lines lit up with people calling about the wrong product. Ouch.

Second, and probably less likely but with much larger potential consequences, this same confusion was relating his company with open source software. Not a problem unless your company happens to be spending large amounts of money on trade secrets from ECU manufacturers and then it appears to them that they might be showing up in publicly available, free code.

So, let me tell you a little bit about Jay Horak. His story is quite similar to mine. He wanted a quality scan tool and couldn't find what he liked, so he made his own. He was able to take that tool and make money on it, but he understands our position. He had no desire to do any harm to our project. This entire ordeal was about helping his business out while not impacting our side. We verbally came to an agreement that I would simply take off the ads on the site (linking to sites that were selling -- get this -- competing scan tools) and, in their place, put a link saying something to the effect of "Did you mean AutoEnginuity? Click here." And then it was off to his lawyers to draft a letter to that effect.

After a week or so of waiting, and periodically since then, the proposal to just change the name since the lawyers haven't finished writing this stupid letter has come up, and been turned down to me on different grounds. The whole time I felt like the letter was just around the corner. Turns out, of course, it wasn't. But biggest factor, though, was my current position. I've just moved and I was staying in my parents basement while we looked for a new house. I didn't have a proper desk or even a decent computer -- just the laptop I payed $400 for 3 years ago. You can imagine how pleasant it is to use. I just didn't have the resources or time to do all the tasks associated with the move, so I held off until we bought our house and got settled in.

And yesterday morning, I check my email and find out that the lawyers have finished drafting the letter and it'll be here next week. Great, but we're now called RomRaider.

Hey, make sure you read this part! Don't bother discussing the legal basis for this whole ordeal. It's a non-issue. Talk about it and your post will be deleted and I'll get to test out the new "warn" functionality of phpbb3.

Edit: I went through and replaced all of the references to Enginuity after originally posting this message. And then I went through and edited this message to make it look the way I intended. If something in here looks retarded, that's my excuse.

Post subject: Re: The Story
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:53 am 
RomRaider Developer

So, are we sticking with the RomRaider name Jared?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:55 am 
Administrator

Yeah. I don't see any reason to turn back now. It's Wednesday and I haven't seen the letter anyway, and who knows how close to the terms we discussed it will actually come. The good part will be we can have the old domain forward here, and the existing email accounts will work again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:00 am 
RomRaider Developer

Thats good. Messing around with corporate lawyers can take forever. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:27 pm 

Thank god to see you guys are back online, It felt a lot longer than 2 months... A LOT, but thats just me being paranoid that this site was never going to come back ever. Glad to see you worked things out to get another site back up ;)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:27 pm 
Administrator

Woot! Welcome back everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:29 pm 

Thats cool. The name RomRaider is alot catchier anyway. glad to hear they were at least somewhat co-operative about the legal issues.

Although now I have no use for my Enginuity.Org stickers (good thing I didnt bother putting them on yet lol)

A little off topic, but any plans on getting romraider stickers made? Im willing to pitch in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:32 pm 

Welcome back online!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:33 pm 
Administrator

No plans as of now. I ended up eating a couple hundred bucks on the old ones (I still have probably 600 stickers), and shipping was a bit of a pain. We'll get something eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:36 pm 

Well Done! I'm glad to see a great piece of software made it back and to think it will continue to become even better!

Good Job!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:42 pm 
Experienced

RomRaider is a step forward - well done

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:48 pm 

We are just glad to see you guys back online! Kudos to your team and good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:55 pm 

Glad you made it back! The rumor mill was really going wild.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:20 pm 

I'm very happy to see RomRaider alive!!

(just on an aside, on the home page the link for download still is labeled as Enginuity)

dm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:29 pm 
Administrator

I'm glad that everything's resolved. I kinda like the new name :lol: