Open Source ECU Tools
 FAQ •  Register •  Login 

RomRaider

Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to contribute to RomRaider's development
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:28 pm 
Administrator

I've created a short guide to help ease those interested in helping out with the development of RomRaider. Java programmers (or programmers of other languages who wouldn't mind learning) are wanted to contribute in whatever way they can. Enjoy.

viewtopic.php?p=1459#1459

You can also help out in other ways:
  • General help around the forum. Many users are new and unfamiliar with the whole scene. They have a lot of questions. Help them out if you can. Many people already are, and that's awesome!
  • Spread the word! Did you know people are still paying hundreds of dollars commercial software licenses to tune their cars? :shock: Let them know there are alternatives.
  • Donate. Shameless, I know, but I have spent enough time developing RomRaider to pay for enough commercial licenses to tune all of the cars in the world (ok, maybe not quite that much..). There are also web hosting expenses, which aren't breaking me, but I could always use a hand. Check out that button on the top right of this page. If you'd like to donate to someone else who has helped out with the project, let me know and we'll work it out. I'd appreciate is professional tuners using RomRaider donating a small portion of their profits.
  • Sponsor the website. I don't currently have a sponsorship program in place as I haven't seen the need, but traffic on the site is picking up and with that, so do expenses. Send me a private message if you're interested in a sponsorship deal. I could always use a sponsor for my autox habits, as well.
  • There are some things I'd like to do with the server. I'd like to make the forum a bit more user friendly, with news on the front page and other phpBB customizations. If you have experience with phpBB mods, shoot me a private message.
  • Version control is also lacking -- source is kept only in the source code forum, with no means to lock files or track changes. I'd really prefer a version control suite that is web based and does not require a client. If you know of one and/or would like to help set it up, let me know. Currently, the plan is to set up a CVS server on sourceforge, but I don't really want to have to do that.
  • Visit our friends' sites. Jojo's projectWRX site is devoted to his new racing career, and Jeramie's computer cables forum is starting out. He's even wrestling with the idea of making OpenPort cables in higher volume than Colby is able to, which would mean better prices and a more durable cable and shouldn't be as succeptable to supply issues. You can find the links at the top of this page.
I'm also considering a products/services forum where sponsors/contributers can advertise. Sponsoring vendors and tuners would be able to post relavent deals here, where it will be seen by good, knowledgable people. If there is any interest, I'll go ahead and set it up.

Finally, I've also considered getting some RomRaider stickers to give out for free. At the moment, I really don't have the money to do this or know anyone who could get me a good deal. Is there anyone interested in this? Know of someone who could make vinyl stickers?

One last note. I've been putting off such a post about money for quite some time as I honestly don't expect anything. I created RomRaider because I wanted to tune my car for free, and RomRaider relies on the work of countless other people to be successful, which is why I offer it for free. I don't want anyone to feel at all obligated, and want everyone to know that I'm far more interested in your contributions to the software and community than money. I have, however, heard a number of people offer to donate, and wanted to give those people a means to do so. Basically, if you feel you've contributed enough in one way or another, are unable to help out for any reason, or just don't want to, I don't disagree.

Thanks for your interest, now get to tuning!

Last edited by qoncept on Tue May 09, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:31 pm 
Administrator

speaking of which, there's a guy in NASIOC who emailed me regarding sponsoring RomRaider. I'll forward the info to you right away.

keep up the great work, jared!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:54 pm 

I'm afraid I'm not able to write definitions file, but does it help to send you ECU map with detailed car info and ECU type?
Last bumped by qoncept on Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:54 pm.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]