Community

Developers

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hawkeye Boost Control Issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:11 am 
RomRaider Donator

Hi All.

I'm having a boost control issue that I hope someone can shed some light on.

History
I run a 2.5 forged build with TD05 20G turbo. The stock Hawk STi ECU does not have per gear boost control, and as such I run a 2 stage (switchable) boost controller that at it's heart uses two Dawes MK1 MBCs, set to high and low boost.

High Boost = target 15psi for gears 1-->4
Low Bost = target 12 psi for gears 5 and 6

this is intended to prevent the shuddering which occurs on high torque 2.5s at ~3-3.5k rpm when in 5th and 6th gears.

Setup
The TD05 20G I bought came as std with a 12-14PSI wastegate actuator. I found this was too high and I could not control boost at any setting. I bought a Mamba adjustable W/G actuator and fitted the 8PSI spring. Hose lengths are kept as short a physically possible.

The problem
With any of the set ups below I'm experiencing pretty rubbish boost control that can definitely be felt when driving.

1) Just the dawes
2) Dawes + bleed type MBC after dawes
3) bleed type MBD only

The graph below is pretty typical, you can see a spike and dip that takes a lot of RPM to recover. The graphs looks pretty much the same for the above 3 arrangements

My conclusions so far
Because all 3 arrangements of boost controller are giving similar results, I'm concluding it's likely the W/G actuator that's at fault here, perhaps even experiencing a sticktion affect when opening? As an aside when I refitted the new spring I didn't apply any more of the (copper coloured at least) grease. Does anyone know what grease is best to use?

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be happening here?

Cheers! :D

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tmJe39EXBhpuOcZmelrQpgoIq6zrUS2_

Post subject: Re: Hawkeye Boost Control Issue
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:34 am 

have you tried removing all that copper grease and applying some molyslip/PTFE grease instead? Sometimes in high heat environments the copper grease will seize up and you could end up with a sticky moving actuator.

Also what kind of hose are you using for your boost lines, if its the soft silicone it may be expanding under pressure - nip down to your local motor factors and pick up some 4 or 5mm ID fuel hose, it's high temp, it's braided, it's bad-ass :)

Your ECU should be fit for per gear boost adjustments so no reason you can't meet your targets with just a 3port solenoid and the MBC tee'd in as well (for 100% throttle set to 100% wgdc).

Using a bleed type solenoid never seems to work properly so go for even a classic 3port solenoid or the scoobyworx peirburg 3port. If you've cash to spend the new perrin one (it's a rotating type) works really well on high boost cars.

MY06 EDM STi Type UK Spec D
============================
Panel Filter/2.5" Decat/Prodrive Springs/Leather Seats

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm 
RomRaider Donator

Hi bludgod. thanks as always for the reply. I was thinking that grease creating a sort of stiction affect inside the actuator could be a factor. I'll try some Lithium EP grease which I think is the same stuff as molyslip.

Good shout on the hoses too, I'll give that whirl.

As for the ECU and electronic per gear boost control. My ECU doesn't support it natively. I have thought about upgrading to ECULABS after it was discussed on another forum and does support per gear boost control, but actually I really like the way MBC delivers boost (when it's working right!) and the simplicity - need to tune it. My system has motorized adjustment of the Dawes devices from inside the cabin so no need to get out in the cold UK weather either :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:36 pm 

aye I know what you mean mr, but the hybrid setup of MBC plus 3port is rather decent and you can gain a lot of part throttle adjustment using the ECU/solenoid then let the MBC do it's thing to kill any overshoot spikes.

Most of the hawks I do have a 'tek license so the racerom/pergear boost and enrichment is right and handy as well so long as you don't mind spending a day setting up the per gear tables :) the eculabs stuph is a good job too and last I heard he has the antilag patch ready to go for it as well!

MY06 EDM STi Type UK Spec D
============================
Panel Filter/2.5" Decat/Prodrive Springs/Leather Seats

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 am 
RomRaider Donator

I bottomed this out in the end, at least for now! Basically no matter what I did I could not get good results from the Mamba W/G actuator, so reverted back to the stock actuator that came with the turbo. Not ideal, but the boost control is much tidier now!

Attachments:
boost.png
boost.png [ 37.27 KiB | Viewed 40 times ]