Open Source ECU Tools
 FAQ •  Register •  Login 

RomRaider

Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: DIY USB 4 PLX (FTW)
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:59 am 

What problem may be with Prolific adapter?

Was RX pin tied to +5V (or 3.3 V) by a resistor?
Try to measure voltage on it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:41 am 

It claims to be a 5v cable, but we didn't investigate. We just used my old cable and unplugged it when we needed to reflash.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm 

I tried the plx test program that NSFW wrote on the Prolific adapter and it also didn't work. The cable is properly recognized and installed by windows, but it seems that something in the chip isn't communicating correctly. I decided not to investigate further because building one per NSFW's directions is simple and inexpensive. Parts are ordered, awaiting arrival. If anyone would like build pics, let me know and I'll take a few.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:37 am 

I have a similar setup on my 96 beretta with a Serial port on my PLX... I think it would be worth a shot to see if Romraider will pick up the signal from that just like it will this one, that way I just need to put the PLX control box somewhere accessible, right now its right next to my ECU under my carpet and the metal cover down there, and then I can switch them from car to car so if I'm logging I'll use the one I already put the com port in.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:22 pm 

Any updates on a cable that someone can make?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:29 pm 

I'm looking at picking up a PLX setup and would like USB logging.
Thinking about buying one of these Prolific based adapters fro $5 from Monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10311&cs_id=1031104&p_id=3726&seq=1&format=2
and then hacking the DB9 off and replacing it with the 3.5mm connector. Seems like it should work?
Is there such thing as a pre-made 3.5mm to DB9 cable that is available for the PLX? If so then I won't need to hack anything, just 3.5mm->DB9 female connected to: DB9 male -> USB.

...and google leads me to this for another $5: http://www.pccables.com/87050.htm Need to verify the pinouts. So would need to deal with two different vendors although PCcables has multiple versions of usb to serial adapters at different prices but not much detail about them.

Should be able to get it all for 20 bucks and hopefully no time spent hacking things together.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:24 pm 

I am afraid you need UART, not RS232 cable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:14 pm 

rammer wrote:
...and then hacking the DB9 off and replacing it with the 3.5mm connector. Seems like it should work?
Is there such thing as a pre-made 3.5mm to DB9 cable that is available for the PLX? If so then I won't need to hack anything, just 3.5mm->DB9 female connected to: DB9 male -> USB.

What you propose might work, but there's a risk of damaging the PLX unit and/or not being able to read the signal from it. The PLX sensor units use 0v-5v signaling, but standard RS-232 cable could use as much as 15 volts. To avoid frying the sensor unit, you'd need to confirm that the RS-232 adapter doesn't put out too much voltage. And the 5v signal from the PLX might not be sufficient for the RS-232 adapter.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:30 pm 

RS232 signals are inverted against UART and are of another level.
This is completely another animal...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:55 pm 

Ok, so this is a TTL to RS-232 level conversion issue. I was assuming the PLX output RS-232 level signals.
So now looking at a Zeitronix. It comes with a DB9 serial cable to interface to a PC, which I will assume uses RS-232. So for another 5 bucks I can use the monoprice serial to USB connector with the Zeitronix (alternatively they offer one for around $20)
Anyway, just trying to find the most cost effective way to get USB wideband AFR and EGT at some point and the hidden cost of the USB adapter throws things off. Plus I'm not sure I want to spend time sourcing parts, soldering, debugging a DIY setup.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:56 pm 

Finally got around to getting the PLX cable built, I've run into a problem though with the SM-AFR module (red box) on my car. When I went to plug it into the SM-AFR red module, I noticed there was a plug already plugged into the TX serial port. I unplugged it and plugged in the wideband cable. Wideband display wouldn't turn on, so I moved the wideband cable to RX and plugged the original cable back to the TX port. Wideband display works, but in Romraider with the correct port selected. I show a static "10" value on the logger.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:31 pm 

You need to connect the modules in series. Follow the wire that was plugged into the SM-AFR's TX (transmit) port, I am sure you will find it connected to the RX (receive) port on a DM-something box. That box will have a TX port, and that's where you want to connect your USB converter.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:41 am 

NSFW wrote:
You need to connect the modules in series. Follow the wire that was plugged into the SM-AFR's TX (transmit) port, I am sure you will find it connected to the RX (receive) port on a DM-something box. That box will have a TX port, and that's where you want to connect your USB converter.

I'm only using the PLX Sm-afr module (Just one) there's no "daisy chain".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:31 am 

I forgot that they make a gauge that plugs directly into the SM-AFR... My gauge plugs into a control module that plugs into the SM-AFR.

You could try a Y-adapter but I'm not sure it will work. You might just have to choose between the gauge and the adapter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:05 am 

A Y works, that is what I use, I actually use 2 Ys to go do the daisy chain, a different gauge, and the USB...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next