Open Source ECU Tools
 FAQ •  Register •  Login 

RomRaider

Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Splitting the Editor and Logger into seperate Projects?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:36 pm 
RomRaider Developer

Hi,
I have commited a few pull requests for bugs and features to RomRaider in the recent time. I noticed this Discussion from 2017 to upgrade to a more recent version of java. The main problem seems to be that there are a lot of dependencies inside the logger that arent available in 64 Bit. But for the Editor this would not be any problem, since the only dependency (I think?) is the 3D graph feature which is available in 64 Bit.
Currently, there are pretty much 2 seperate programs sharing the same code base, the editor and the logger. The program splits in two branches right after the start, there doesnt seem to be much overlapping between the two, other than the log overlay feature. I removed the logger and io folders as an experiment and the amount of errors that popped up seemed reasonable to fix.

So my suggestion is to create the following repositories:
- RomRaiderUtils for shared code and helper functions
- RomRaiderEditor as a standalone build, references RomRaiderUtils as a git submodule
- RomRaiderLogger as a standalone build, references RomRaiderUtils as a git submodule

This would at least allow to upgrade the Editor to the recent version of java. I know that this would not be a one weekend job, but it would clean up the code a lot I think and make it a lot more manageable. But I think the long-term supporters of the project have a better opinion about this.

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Splitting the Editor and Logger into seperate Projects?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 pm 
RomRaider Developer

There's more than just the overlay that is shared between the two, the MAF, Injector, LTV tabs all use Editor classes. If separated these would all need to be copied over to the Logger.
Also the Editor Test App uses some Logger classes, this would need to move over to the Logger.

But then what, have two versions of Java on the computer to run the two apps?

Everything runs under Java 8, but Java 8 doesn't run on all OS's. That's why I haven't compiled up to Java 8 yet.

You can fork and work on it if you'd like. You just need a few ECUs to be able to rest against.