Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: .hex and .bin file uploads
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:59 pm 
RomRaider Developer

In an attempt to reduce the size of the forum database, please compress (ZIP, 7z, gz, rar) any bin or hex ROM images before uploading.
Thanks for your assistance.

Post subject: Re: .hex and .bin file uploads
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:54 am 

dschultz wrote:
In an attempt to reduce the size of the forum database, please compress (ZIP, 7z, gz) any bin or hex ROM images before uploading.

Ok!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:44 pm 
Experienced

dschultz wrote:
In an attempt to reduce the size of the forum database, please compress (ZIP, 7z, gz) any bin or hex ROM images before uploading.

Just saw this. I haven't been doing this, but will do so from here on out and also try to limit the size of attachments, generally. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:00 pm 
Experienced

Heh. Curious, how many GB and #files do ROMs (or say, any file > 200k) represent, do you have any stats ? The highest fileid I think is around 37800 based on a recent post, so probably at least 30k files...

There's probably a fair amount of duplication too. Tools like 'fslint' could help with this if you have direct access to the files, but then some attachments would silently fail...

I've also wondered if there would be a better practical system than the current mess of uploading as attachments, everyone with their own inconsistent and usually non-descriptive filenames.

A few years ago I was thinking of doing something as an actual database with ECUID, model+year, etc (basically the columns in the "Stock ROM list" post that I never update). Each with their (probably offsite) download link. Submissions would be uploaded to a temp file host until they were checked + processed. No time for that now, someone else can solve this P ).
At least now we have tools to automate some of the process.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:52 am 
RomRaider Developer

Here are some stats for the forum attachments alone. The total site consumes ~13GB.

A stock ROM list is not difficult. What drives the site is mostly the Subaru tuning forums, many people share their ROMs asking for assistance and accompany their versions of ROMs with log files (I don't see that much in the BMW or Nissan forums). Since tuning is an iterative process there will be many intermediate ROMs and logs which no longer have meaning. These should be pruned but in a thoughtful way.
Attachment:
stats.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:21 pm 

Could put the iterative tuning on Github. Or all the ROMs actually..