RomRaider

Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 05-09 5EAT Subaru Reverse Engineering
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:28 pm 

Good day everyone. I am an avid user of romraider and commend the people who put forth their effort in the ecu tuning endevour. The reason I post this topic is to suggest and/or get feedback on the idea of TCU rom flashing. SSM can do it, the new beta of romraider can monitor canbus 07+ subarus' TCUs albeit pretty much redundant Pid's from the ecu side. I am very knowledgable about computers and such however am not knowledgable about chipsets and the kernel's etc.. Over at LegacyGT.com, a mass amount of members with 5eat tranny LGT's not only have accomplished R&D'ing valve body modifications from scratch, but attempted to reverse engineer the TCU's themselves in hopes of a resistor trick for ^ line pressures.

My question and/or request is if anyone can access the 5EAT TCU maps. I unfortunately do not have the vast programming knowledge that most of you do and thought I'd relay LGT.com's hopes and dreams to you guys. There would be numerous members willing to donate to this endevour. Our goal is to be able to modify parameters in the TCU to eliminate the "CVT-like" features and the sluggish shifting, and the preprogrammed shift delay when using the paddle shifters. If anyone has any knowledge on being able to read/write the TCU, it would be appreciated, and compensated appropriately. This has been a challenge for us over on the forum for quite some time, unfortunately the majority lack the technical knowledge and the software knowhow to even begin this voyage.

As some of you might know, the 05-06 legacy gt 5eat tranny connects to FreeSSM no problem, however subaru changed the interface and added canbus, so freessm no longer connects. Thankfully, you guys added the TCU logging parameter to your new beta version and made a connection with 07+ canbus 5eat TCU's which was surprising and has brought new hope to us canbus kids on the forum :D Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated, and feel free to move this thread if it is indeed in the wrong forum.

Chris (bmx045 on legacygt.com)

Post subject: Re: 05-09 5EAT Subaru Reverse Engineering
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:47 am 

Did anybody upload the ROM image ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:02 am 

not quite sure what you mean..... we don't have a way to access the image... according to the latest romraider version we're able to connect to it, and monitor some parameters, but that's it.... is there another way that I'm not aware of? I might pick ECUflash's brain on this too....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:57 pm 

I am from over at LGT.com and I also have been hoping you guys can come up with something. I really appreciate all the work you do on the ECU already!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:22 pm 

poke !!! ( i asked about 2 years ago about who's leg do i have to hump to get this done ! )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:22 am 

RomRaider can do data logging, and it can edit ROMs, but before it can edit a ROM, it needs two things:

1) Some other utility needs to pull the ROM from the ECU/TCU, and push the RomRaider-modified ROM back into the car. EcuFlash does this for the ECU. Someone needs to write TcuFlash. Utc_Pyro over at LGT.com seemed to be investigating that sort of thing, but I don't recall how far he got or what problems he ran into.

2) Someone needs to study the ROM image, find the key tables, figure out some logic, and create an XML file that defines the tables for RomRaider. Or a bunch of definition files, depending on how much the ROMs vary across the various years, models, andmarkets.

The first one needs to happen before the second one can even get started, so that's where y'all should be focusing your effort/research/prayer/etc.

Neither of those are easy, but I don't think either of them are impossible, either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:21 am 
Experienced

an easier way if you have a capable oscilloscope would be to sniff the SSM-III during TCU flashing....

Mart

NSFW wrote:
RomRaider can do data logging, and it can edit ROMs, but before it can edit a ROM, it needs two things:

1) Some other utility needs to pull the ROM from the ECU/TCU, and push the RomRaider-modified ROM back into the car. EcuFlash does this for the ECU. Someone needs to write TcuFlash. Utc_Pyro over at LGT.com seemed to be investigating that sort of thing, but I don't recall how far he got or what problems he ran into.

2) Someone needs to study the ROM image, find the key tables, figure out some logic, and create an XML file that defines the tables for RomRaider. Or a bunch of definition files, depending on how much the ROMs vary across the various years, models, andmarkets.

The first one needs to happen before the second one can even get started, so that's where y'all should be focusing your effort/research/prayer/etc.

Neither of those are easy, but I don't think either of them are impossible, either.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:55 am 

+1 on interest in this project. As a fellow LGT 5EAT owner I'd love to be able to flash/tune the TCU. I'm more than happy to contribute donations toward any efforts to tame the 5EAT TCU !

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:31 pm 

By tame do you mean untame? This thing shifts like a turd.

(another 5eat owner that is disappointed by the granny shifting of the 5eat)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:04 pm 

Another LGT.com member and Romraider user looking for ways to improve the 5EAT for myself and the masses.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:08 pm 

Mill wrote:
By tame do you mean untame? This thing shifts like a turd.

(another 5eat owner that is disappointed by the granny shifting of the 5eat)

I would take it in to subaru and have them do the clear memory 2 and relearn procedure. It helps a lot with erratic and weird shifting. Also there is a tcu reflash for erratic shifting in a couple of the lgt model years (at least 08) and i have seen many cases where the relearn was never performed after the reflash. this caused the cars to sometimes "granny shift" or feel like it was slipping in between gear changes depending on where the throttle was.

here is the service bulletin. this is only the summary.

Code:
Service Bulletin #16-72-07
Pages: 1

Bulletin Description: The purpose of this bulletin is to announce that the automatic transmission learning control procedure can now be performed using the SSMIII with the latest version (Oct. 2007).

Details can be found on the SSMIII help menu under "Learning and inspection mode related to AT". The learning control needs to be preformed when the TCM is reprogrammed or replaced, disassembly or replacement of the transmission, replacement of the valve body or when Clear Memory 2 is executed.

In addition, if a vehicle is experiencing a harsh shift, shift shock and/or delayed shift with no diagnostic codes set and nothing is found during basic diagnostics, the learning procedure should be performed. When performing the A/T Learning Procedure as a stand alone procedure, the following claim information has been added to Subaru Warranty Wizard.

Information contained in any technical document found on the STIS web site should only be used as reference material for highly trained automotive technicians. Only automotive technicians have the training and the special tools/equipment to repair Subaru vehicles.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:13 pm 

rubberman wrote:
+1 on interest in this project. As a fellow LGT 5EAT owner I'd love to be able to flash/tune the TCU. I'm more than happy to contribute donations toward any efforts to tame the 5EAT TCU !

I have the Hexmods VB and was a great MOD for the 5EAT..!! But I would also be more than happy to contribute donations toward any efforts to reflash the TCU..!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:37 pm 

Not sure about your Liberty 5EAT's but with some careful manipulation of the DBW tables, I have had the '11 AUDM STi and Forester S Edition 5EAT shifting as violently or as smoothly as I want. I have Intelligent & Sport modes setup so gear changes could be mistaken for a CVT but Sport# can get the T/C light flickering on gear changes.

Which ROM ID should I download to experiment with?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:40 am 

Bump for this.

How about definitions for the 5eat shift timing retard? With valve body kits readily available for pretty cheap for the 05-07 lgt/obxt, the transmissions should be able to take more power through shifts. It would be a very useful table to have available. There's also quite a jolt from the timing retard with the harder shifts!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:40 am 

throttlehappy wrote:
Not sure about your Liberty 5EAT's but with some careful manipulation of the DBW tables, I have had the '11 AUDM STi and Forester S Edition 5EAT shifting as violently or as smoothly as I want. I have Intelligent & Sport modes setup so gear changes could be mistaken for a CVT but Sport# can get the T/C light flickering on gear changes.

Which ROM ID should I download to experiment with?

not sure what you mean by dbw manipulation? i have mine set at 380 on 100% throttle. there's apparently a cap in RT governed by the TCU. if i were to set 450 as my RT at 100% throttle it makes no difference in shifts.