Documentation

Community

Developers

It is currently Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RomRaider Logger Connection Options
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 pm 
RomRaider Developer

I've been working on updating the Logger to support different connection types. Currently it supports the Tactrix Openport 2.0 and anything that represents a serial COM port to the computer.

Here's what I'd like to be able to support:
  • Any J2534 compliant PassThru connection (OpenPort 2, DrewTech, FHI, etc...), whatever is defined in the Windows registry
  • Any cable based on the FTDI chipset interfacing at the USB level
  • Lastly any serial COM port whether physical or virtual COM port

This would also open up the possibility for "other" USB cables with the appropriate API, i.e.: Prolific

Making these changes allows support for more protocol options:
  • CAN & ISO15765 on a PassThru connection
  • ISO9141 & ISO14230 on a PassThru or FTDI connection
  • And of course SSM on a PassThru or FTDI connection

With all these options I believe the best approach is to let the user select the cable and protocol and save these settings for future use. In the case of a tuner accessing different cars regularly they will need to reset for each car that is different than the last connection/protocol used.

Where possible these would be supported on non-Windows platforms as well. Currently FTDI USB. Does anyone know of any J2534 libraries complied for the Linux OS?

Comment/suggestions?

Post subject: Re: RomRaider Logger Connection Options
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:31 pm 
Experienced

+1 on select cable and protocol! If you want to ease things for the hardcore, offer profiles to select from?

I was reading about some of the plugins probing lots of ports sending data out - that seems dangerous to me. What if the data it sends out does something unexpected and negative to something that is attached and unknown? Low chance, sure. I assume this is part of what you want to avoid by making the user choose it? I think the "take it out of the plugin dir" suggestion has to be a temporary one, right?

Am I on the same page or off talking to myself? :-)

Fred.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:34 pm 
RomRaider Developer

A profile as defined today does not have any connection definitions in it, but it might be the place to move them to and out of the system settings file.

I'm not aware of any plug-in in RR Logger that arbitrarily connects to a port and sends data out blindly, other than when the Logger is trying to connect to the something that has been pre-configured as a result of a previous logging session.
The only plugin that does any searching on its own is the Innovate MTS. The MTS.dll itself tries to identify any MTS streams which may be coming in via a COM port on the computer. How it actually does that I'm not aware of as it's an Innovate library. The RR Logger queries the library for what it has learned about the users system.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:34 am 
Experienced

There is no reason to only have one type of profile, is there? You could have a logging profile set separate to the main one, whatever that does, IF it made sense to split them. The main ones could even refer to the logging one, IF it makes sense. No idea if it does make any sense, possibly not :-)

dschultz wrote:
First suggestion for you, since you don't appear to have LogWorks3 installed on that computer, pull the LM-2 (mts) plugin out of the \plugins directory to stop it from trying to load. You can always put it back if you want to use it later. The Logger will start up faster too!
dschultz wrote:
A note about plugins: The new Innovate MTS (LM-2) plugin checks each COM port on the computer to determine if any Innovate devices are connected. This action can slow the Logger's startup. If you do not need the support of the Innovate MTS (LM-2), I suggest moving that plugin item out of the RomRaider\plugins directory to stop it from loading. Actually this can be done for any External plugin that you don't use in your setup.

OK, now I understand. It wasn't clear from those that it was external code running, and not clear that it was a DLL either. Why not defer loading of that library until you are sure you need to load it. If the settings say use another plugin, just don't load it and everyone is happy. Possibly off track again. The hazards of taking large guesses :-)

Fred.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:04 pm 
RomRaider Developer

I believe I looked at deferred loading but it required more overall changes. I was going to make an option list to allow the user to select/deselect plugins to reduce loading unnecessary ones, but I wanted to get the functional code out for test review.

I think we are off topic now...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:17 pm 
Experienced

OK, that sounds good too. Sorry for OT.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:20 am 
RomRaider Developer

dschultz wrote:
•Any J2534 compliant PassThru connection (OpenPort 2, DrewTech, FHI, etc...), whatever is defined in the Windows registry
Part 1 is about 99% complete. I've converted from J/Invoke to JNA for native library access and have tested J2534 communications with two different cables to an ECU after pulling the connection info from the Windows registry.

Does anyone have a non-Tactrix J2534 device that they can support some testing with?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 pm 
Experienced

dschultz wrote:
dschultz wrote:
•Any J2534 compliant PassThru connection (OpenPort 2, DrewTech, FHI, etc...), whatever is defined in the Windows registry
Part 1 is about 99% complete. I've converted from J/Invoke to JNA for native library access and have tested J2534 communications with two different cables to an ECU after pulling the connection info from the Windows registry.

Do I unterstand correctly, we will be able to support EURO5 Diesel with SSM-III CAN protocoll with this ? :D :D

Quote:
Does anyone have a non-Tactrix J2534 device that they can support some testing with?

If we can, I am very sure to find someone with a non-Tractrix interface to test.

Just give me a hind, and I will ask in a germany Subaru Forum..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:24 pm 
RomRaider Developer

Jochen_145 wrote:
Do I unterstand correctly, we will be able to support EURO5 Diesel with SSM-III CAN protocoll with this ? :D :D

Yes, after I get this framework built we'll be able to support more protocols over more physical connection types.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:17 am 
Experienced

I set a "testing support request" to subi-evo-treff.com forum, witch is most popular technical forum for Subaru Diesel.

You can follow this link, to see the request, but you need to register to be able to read the Diesel related thinks.

I got two persons in view, who got allready a Tractrix OP2.0 and can support testing SSM-III protocol on there EURO5 diesel.

We will see, if other EURO5 drive will buy differend interfaces to be able to use RR on theire car.

So, if you got suggestions for alternatives interfaces with J2534 support, you are wellcome

Jochen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:19 am 

Hello everybody!

I am one of the 2 guys Jochen mentioned.
I have an Euro5 Diesel Subaru and a Tactrix Openport 2.0.

Let me know if i can help :-)

Best Regards,
Fabian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:40 am 
RomRaider Developer

Thanks, it will be a while yet as I have more updates to make before I'm ready to test any new protocols. Working on the lower connectivity layers at the moment.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:24 am 
Experienced

Hallo Fabian and wellcome at this forum, too..

@Dale

I search for alternative interfaces to tactrix to give a recommendation to someone who´s looking for a can-based interface.

All what I found are not quite cheap, but AVG 4000 interface is buyable for round about 100€..

Can you pls take a look at the link and tell, if this interface supports everything you will need for the new can-protocoll at RomRaider ?

Thanks Jochen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:27 pm 
RomRaider Developer

Not easily. There's no mention of J2534 compliance. To me it looks like each protocol has to be handled natively in the logging application. Whereas J2534 compliant devices abstracts all the car protocols and defines an API for the logging software to use (http://www.drewtech.com/support/J2534/index.html) when talking through the cable. This is how the OpenPort 2.0 works, as well as the Drew Tech devices.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:29 pm 

Did anything ever come of this project?
It seems like the solution to an issue I just posted about... planned almost a decade ago!